Today, Crunchbase News is launching The Crunchbase Emerging Unicorn BoardA curated list of startups on the path to achieving billion-dollar valuations, also known as unicorn status.
The startups on our Emerging Unicorn Board are private companies valued at $ 500 million or more, but less than $ 1 billion. They could well become the next billion-dollar private companies listed on The Crunchbase Unicorn Boardour list of the most highly valued startups in the world.
Search less. Close more.
Grow your revenue with all-in-one prospecting solutions powered by the leader in private-company data.
Powered by Crunchbase‘S comprehensive data, the Emerging Unicorn Board is continuously updated. We hope this data and our analysis serve as resources for readers to track and understand the funding landscape around these fast-growth companies on the path to unicorn valuations.
The board currently hosts more than 300 companies. This cohort of emerging unicorns has altogether raised more than $ 53 billion over time, and is collectively valued at more than $ 200 billion.
Please note, while we’d like for this board to become comprehensive, we believe there are currently many more companies that should be added to this pre-unicorn list. 1
The latest to emerge
Already, more than 50 companies have joined the Emerging Unicorn list in 2022. The most recent of these include:
- London-based trade finance platform Stenn;
- Sunnyvale, California-based reality display company DigiLens;
- Tel Aviv-based cloud security company Coronet;
- Boston-based contract management platform LinkSquares; and
- San Francisco-based decentralized finance company Parallel Finance.
Here are some key stats from this cohort of companies. Detailed charts are provided on the Emerging Unicorn Board itself.
- Most active investors: Accel tops the list as the most active investor in emerging unicorns by funding rounds, with 69 rounds. Andreessen Horowitz and GV follow, each with 48 funding rounds in this current crop of emerging unicorns. Tiger Global and Lightspeed Venture Partners round out the top five most active investors with 46 and 44 investments, respectively.
- Leading industries: The leading industries for emerging unicorns mirror trends we find for unicorn companies overall. Financial services, commerce and shopping, and data and analytics are among the leading sectors for emerging unicorn companies.
- Leading countries: The US dominates the emerging unicorn list with 158 companies on this board. India has the second-highest count with 31 companies, and China with 26.
Exits in 2022
The companies on the Emerging Unicorn Board could go on to become private unicorns— provided, of course, they don’t exit before that happens. So far in 2022, former emerging unicorns Pensando, Wealthfront and The Athletic were all acquired for prices above their most-recent private valuations. And despite a challenging IPO market, Forge, Lepu Bio and Knightscope all went public.
Berlin-based Chocoa supply chain ordering platform for restaurants, meanwhile, recently exited the emerging list to join The Crunchbase Unicorn Board.
More to come.
Editor’s note: I hope you’ll find The Crunchbase Emerging Unicorn Board to be a useful resource in tracking the world’s highly valued companies. Please reach out to our Editor-In-Chief Marlize van Romburgh at [email protected] if you have any questions or feedback on The Crunchbase Emerging Unicorn Board, or if you spot any data that’s missing or inaccurate.
Illustration: Dom Guzman
Stay up to date with recent funding rounds, acquisitions, and more with the Crunchbase Daily.